To allow visitors to share pages and other items such as news articles and blog posts with social media channels we recommend setting up an account at http://www.addthis.com/. After creating the account, you will need to do the following to create and then place the snippet of code on your site.
- Click on Share Buttons in AddThis, this will take you to where you can customize the Social Media sharing buttons. If the account already existed click on Tools in the menu bar followed by + ADD NEW TOOL to be taken to where you can select Share Buttons.
- For Tool Type, we recommend Floating. Which will place the social media sharing buttons on one side of the screen or the other depending on what you select in the next step. After selecting the tool type click on Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, you will be able to customize the position and look of the social media toolbar. that you have chosen.
- Position - By default, the social media buttons will be on the left side on desktops which you can change to either right or hide. Please send in a customer support ticket in if you choose bottom for the Mobile position so we can make adjustments to the footer of your site.
- Share Counters - None
- Social Networks - If you need to customize what social networks are showing, click on Select you own and choose the ones you would like to show. If not we recommend choosing Automatic.
- Design - We recommend keeping the style Modern and switching the Mobile Button Size to Medium (40px).
- Click on Save & Continue located at the bottom of the screen and you will be taken to where you can get the snippet of code that you will need to place.
- If you like you can place the snippet of code by using the instructions shown below. If not please send in a support ticket with the snippet of code and we will place it for you.
- To place the snippet of code on your site, click on Sites & Departments on the dashboard followed by View Departments. This will take you to the root directory of your site. At the top, in the header area where it displays the department that you are in, click on the name of the department name to reveal a menu where you will need to select Edit Department followed by HTML Overrides.
- Scroll down to Bottom Scripts and paste the code snippet that you received from AddThis into that box. When you are done click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Please note that this will place the share to social media tab sitewide on your site.