A sync is a way to import calendar events from external calendar sources, such as google calendars. You will need a valid iCal feed in order to pull events data into Campus Suite.
How do I setup a sync?
To set up a sync, in your admin dashboard, go to the department that owns the calendar you want to sync events into. For your main website, this is usually the root, or sometimes the About department. Click 'Calendar' at the top of the page to see your events. Notice a 'Sync' button in the upper right-hand corner. Click that and if you have any synced iCal feeds, you will be able to see and manage them. Notice a green 'Create' button at top-right. Click that to sync in a new feed. Complete the necessary information and be sure to set the frequency that you want the feed to be checked. After you create the sync, click on the right-facing "play" arrow next to the feed. This sends a request to sync in the events. Sometimes, it takes a moment to pull in events. Refresh the page after a couple minutes. Be sure there are events in the calendar you are pulling in.
What are the settings for a sync?
- Name - The name you would like to use to describe the feed. This is internal only and will not show to the public. It's only for you to know what feed it it.
- Description - A description of the sync (optional)
- Type - options available; Event
- URL - the URL of the iCal feed.
- Frequency - Set the frequency in which the feed is checked. It's important to note that when you add an event to your calendar, it could take some time for the event to make it to your site. The feed is checked at the interval you set under Frequency.
What do the icons mean to the right of a sync?
- Pencil - Edit the sync
- Trash - Delete the sync
- Right Arrow - Start/Refresh sync
- Square box - Will deactivate a sync, this will only appear if a sync is active
How can I tell when the last sync/next sync will happen?
If you go to the list of syncs in a department you will see when the last sync was done and when the next one will occur.
How do I edit the settings a sync?
To edit the setting for a sync, navigate to the department that it is stored in, click on Calendar in the module list and then the SYNC button in the upper right-hand corner. This will take you to a list of the syncs that are in the department, click on the pencil icon to the right of the sync you would like to edit.
How do I delete a sync?
Navigate to the department that the sync is stored in, click on Calendar in the module list and then the SYNC button in the upper right-hand corner. This will take you to a list of the syncs that are in the department, click on the trash can icon to the right of the sync that you would like to delete.
How do I either start or refresh a sync?
To start or fresh a sync, navigate to the department that the sync is stored in, click on Calendar in the module list and then the SYNC button in the upper right-hand corner. This will take you to a list of the syncs that are in the department, click on the right facing arrow icon to the right of the sync that you would like to start or refresh. You would refresh a sync if you made any changes to the calendar that the Campus Suite is synced to and you wanted the changes to show before the next scheduled sync refresh that was set, for that sync.
How can I tell if a sync is activated?
To the left of the sync is a vertical color bar. If the bar is red it means the sync is not activated, if it is green it means the sync is activated. To start a sync click on the right arrow to the right of the sync's name. To deactivate a sync, click on the box to the right of the sync's name.
How do I find the URL for a calendar in Google to sync to it?
It is easy to get the URL for a Google calendar. To find it, you will need to be in Google calendar while on your computer and do the following;
- In the top right-hand corner, click Settings > Settings.
- Choose Calendars from Settings located in the upper left-hand corner. After the screen refreshes choose the Calendar that you would like to get the URL for.
- Scroll down to Integrate calendar and then copy the URL listed under Public address in iCal format.
Note: If the calendar is not being shared with the public, scroll up to or click on Access Permissions in the side navigation and check Make available to public.
How do find the iCal URL for a private Google calendar to sync to it?
To find the URL to sync to a private Google calendar, do the following;
- In Google calendar, while on your computer, click on Settings > Settings in the top right-hand corner.
- Choose Calendars from Settings located in the upper left-hand corner. After the screen refreshes choose the Calendar that you would like to get the URL for
- Scroll down to Integrate calendar and then copy the URL listed under Secret address in iCal format.
Any attachments in a synced Google calendar event will not be brought over. If you need to attach files, we recommend creating the event in the Campus Suite Calendar module and attaching them there.
If an event is marked as All Day in the Google Calendar no times will be displayed in the Campus Suite calendar.
If an event is marked as Repeat... in Google, the event will be shown on every day that it is supposed to repeat on.
By default, a link to a Google Hangout is added to each event which will be seen in the description field of the even in Campus Suite. See the article, My calendar is synced with a google calendar and it is displaying google hangouts in the description, can that be removed? on how to turn this feature off.